HoG Handbook

When You Need Help


When You Need Help

If you want help sorting out your feelings or changing the way you act, check into seeing a counselor. Many people have found counseling makes them look at things in a new light. They find new answers to their problems. It may be hard to do but asking for help shows that you care about yourself.

See a counselor if you:

  • Constantly feel hopeless or helpless.
  •  Feel like your life is out of control.
  • Think that life is not worth living and don't care what happens.
  • Feel like you can't cope with your life or get through each day.
  • Have trouble getting along with other people.
  • Are using alcohol or drugs to help you either cope or escape.
  • Have difficulty concentrating more than usual.
  • Have lost interest in the things, people, or activities you usually enjoy.

A family counselor, therapist, or social worker may be able to provide the help you need. The social worker at your HTC has been trained to help people deal with feelings. They can give you support and understanding and help you learn new ways of taking care of problems.  Helping you manage your feelings is a part of comprehensive care. Your local hemophilia program can also guide you in getting help. If you cannot get counseling at the HTC, there are other people who may be able to help. Reach out to a counselor at your local mental health clinic, a minister, your local doctor, or a school counselor.

If you are experiencing suicidal thoughts, contact The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline by calling 9-8-8 or emergency services by calling 9-1-1 immediately. Do not wait