Healthy Aging Means Staying Fit
Horizons in Hemophilia, Spring 2009
By Penny Kumpf RN, VWD Community Outreach Nurse
I recently watched with interest a news story about how to be smarter. Researchers have discovered that losing weight can increase your smartness. Imagine that. If you are already at a healthy weight, exercise, yes, exercise, will do the same thing. With all of the studies out there about exercise, here comes one more that proves that there does not seem to be a time in our lives that we should not be moving. Not only will you be smarter, but with a bleeding disorder your joints will benefit as well.
I was delighted to learn that there is a program out there offered to people who have certain Medicare programs. There are no additional costs for you to go and work out. For ladies, Curves (women's' workout center), is part of that plan.
The plan is called "Silver Sneakers" and it offers a blend of physical activity, healthy lifestyle and social programming that allows older adults to take greater control of their health.
"Silver Sneakers" members receive:
- A free fitness center membership at a nearby participating location
- Access to any participating fitness center throughout the U.S. while traveling
- Customized Silver Sneakers classes designed exclusively for older adults who want to improve their strength, flexibility, balance and endurance
- Health education seminars and other events that promote the benefits of a healthy lifestyle
- A specially trained Senior Advisor at the fitness center to introduce you to "Silver Sneakers" and acquaint you with their site
The "Silver Sneakers" Fitness Program is a proven, results-oriented program that will help you take charge of your health and maintain an active, independent lifestyle. To see if your health plan or Medicare Supplement carrier offers "Silver Sneakers," go to www.silversneakers.com or call your plan and ask them if they are offering this to members.
Now you might be reading this and thinking: "Gosh, I wish I had that benefit, but I am not a senior citizen." Did you know that other health care plans also offer free or discounted memberships to health clubs? Go to your insurance company's website or give them a call and check it out. You and your family might be on your way to becoming smarter in 2009!