Step 26: Hold pressure with your finger over the site for five to seven minutes
- Press down firmly with one or two fingers over a gauze pad (see the illustration). Hold it for five to seven minutes.
- If the site is still bleeding after five minutes, hold it for five minutes more.
- If the site is in the crease of the elbow, keep your arm straight while holding pressure.
- Do not massage or rub the area.
- Do not use a pressure bandage in place of finger pressure.
Figure 4-21 Pressing down on the site with a gauze pad.