Step 28: Discard used equipment and clean the work surface
- All equipment except the tourniquet should be thrown away. Tourniquets should be thrown away if they get blood on them.
- Put used needles and syringes in a sharps disposal container or other hard container with a lid. Lock or seal the container lid closed when it is full. Depending on the laws where you live, you can burn it, take it to a hospital that will destroy it, or put it in the trash can on collection day.
- To avoid sticking yourself, do not recap needles.
- Keep the sharps disposal container out of the reach of children.
- Do not let children play with used syringes. They could get an infection.